Another year, another list of my favorites…
10 Best Pictures of 2014
- Nightcrawler (Best Picture, Best Screenplay)
- Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (Best Director)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- The LEGO Movie
- Interstellar (Best Visual, Best Sound)
- The One I Love
Notable others include American Sniper, The Double, Edge of Tomorrow, Enemy, Gone Girl, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Imitation Game, Inherent Vice, Locke, A Most Violet Year, Obvious Child, Selma, The Theory of Everything, and Under the Skin.
- Rosamund Pike – Gone Girl
- Elisabeth Moss – The One I Love
- Essie Davis – Babadook
- Tilda Swinton – Snowpiercer
- Jessica Chastain – Interstellar & A Most Violet Year
- Julianne Moore – Still Alice
- Felicity Jones – The Theory of Everything
- Jenny Slate – Obvious Child
- Jake Gyllenhaal – Nightcrawler & Enemy
- Nicholas Cage – Joe
- J.K. Simmons – Whiplash
- Michael Keaton – Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
- Benedict Cumberbatch – The Imitation Game
- Bradley Cooper – American Sniper
- Christ Evans – Snowpiercer
- Oscar Isaac – A Most Violet Year
Early 2014 brought some great movies like Joe and The LEGO Movie. I was certain Snowpiercer was going to be the flick to beat. Blockbusters like Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Edge of Tomorrow surprised me how good they could be. Smaller films were out in force again with The Double, Enemy, and The One I Love, which was just such a treat. For me, though, one did stand above them all.
This last episode of A Football Life featured Brandon Marshall. It is, simply, the best one yet. The episode strongly revolves around mental illness and health, which is a subject that gets fairly suppressed and overshadowed these days. It’s a strong recommendation from me, even if you aren’t into football.
First day of the best season ever.